Friday 14 August 2009

Raising the standards

I got a mail from a reader that my blog was maintaining an average level. Well, as for me, I think it is well below that. I wrote pure nonsense in most of the entries. Instead of writing about the things I really wanted to write about, I have always focused on totally irrelevant things, fearing censure. I will admit that I am a very insecure person. I fear that I will be misunderstood. So I cloak myself with a show of joviality. I show respect to people I have nothing but contempt for. I dare not call a spade a spade - I am far too sensible for that. Still, sometimes you receive a jolt that makes you sit down and evaluate your life and deeds. The mail which I mentioned above was one such jolt. The first reaction was: "Oh my God! How dare this fellow convey this obvious fact to me knowing that I will be obviously offended?" I sincerely appreciate that fellow's candidness and his nerve in doing that. If we had more people like him, the humanity would have vanished long ago, leaving behind a really peaceful earth!

That shock was followed by an introspection - something I avoid because they are actually very painful. I know that I suppress my opinions and emotions heavily. I want peace around me more than anything else and I know that this is true for most of the people around me.

I have a split personality - one, a jovial, foolish person you must have seen in most of the earlier posts, and another one, a dark, too intellectual, too sharp face that I normally do not show outside. Sometimes, I do wonder which one actually controls me. I love to be the second person all the time but I also fear and mistrust it.

So much for all the dark writing. I believe I am getting too bookish to be read. So we will now discuss some very serious issues: Necessity of a Common Civil Code in India and revamping of foreign policy.

I hereby declare that I neither support nor accept the BJP ideology. I am vehemently against its chauvinistic platform. I also declare that I believe that I am a human first and an Indian next. Any other consideration comes only after that. I also believe in the equality of all human beings.

I want to state that the Personal Laws governing the citizens of India need to be scrapped. A Common Civil Code applicable to all the citizens must be introduced instead. This code must be based on common sense and rational beliefs. It is really unbecoming of this democracy to be treating its citizens differently, on the basis of their religion. It is irrational, illogical; that is to say, it defies all explanation. It is high time that our leaders really gather all the nerve they have and work on this issue.

I know that a Common Civil Code is a dream - a dream that may never come true in my lifetime though I can call myself young.

The second thing I demand is that the government act fast on its foreign policy. Chinese influence is growing by leaps and bounds all over the world. They are using all the means they can - both economic and diplomatic whereas we are floundering at whatever we do. Africa is leaning heavily to China. We sit here, doing practically nothing when compared to what the Chinese are doing. When will we get our act together?

We should try to resolve the problems we have with our neighbours. After all, we cannot choose them. When the PM is making efforts to ensure peace in the subcontinenet, I believe that the people must support him. Hostility with neighbours is quite costly. We are already heavily affected by the global economic recession. Why create more problems for ourselves? Why should people make such a hue and cry over the Baloch part of the Sharm-El-Sheikh statement? We said that we are not doing anything to promote the Baloch movement. What's wrong with that? Needless arguments over a pointless issue; just to show we are good at it.




No comments:

Search This Blog