Monday 10 August 2009

Going vegan

I am, or rather was, the strictest non-vegetarian in the world. I wouldn't touch my plate without a piece of meat, fish or egg before me. (I preferred fish.) Now all that has changed.

It has got nothing to do with the steely resolve of mine. I am rather more like Mark Twain -"Quitting smoking is easy. I have done it a hundred times." My mom has stopped cooking non-veg food and so I am forced to eat green grass! :-(

For some time, I tried to resist eating. Finally, feeling so hungry that I couldn't have even discerned the taste of what I was eating, I pushed in some food into my mouth. Now I follow this as a routine - I don't eat unless I can help it. And for the first time in my life, I am losing my weight rather than gaining it. The sense of loss is overbearing. I miss most of my cheeks. If it goes on like this, my parents will not be able to distinguish me from my sis. (She is lean and I come under the category 'too many extra pounds'.) I miss the totally unhealthy, fatty, delicious food I used to have. I don't know how long mom is going to continue this. Dad is talking of making the whole family vegan. I am sincerely praying for a job that would take me to one of the Scandinavian countries where I hope they have fish and meat as their staple diet, like me.

Arab countries aren't liberal with women, you see.

No comments:

Search This Blog