Sunday 16 August 2009

The Jinnah Fans Association

At first, it was Mr. Advani. Now it is Mr. Jaswant Singh. Jinnah is rising from his ashes, like a Phoenix, to haunt Indian politics. What more will we get to hear in the coming days? Mr. Singh's interview with Mr. Thapar was a revelation. I never knew that a political leader cares that much about a minority community in India. I know Congress doesn't care but at least it puts up a show to that effect. The BJP, unabashedly doesn't care and unapologetically announces it. This sudden love for Jinnah in the minds of BJP leaders perplexes me. Perhaps, they admire the man. He could do what they could not. Carve out a nation for him to rule. After all, an Islamic Republic of Pakistan was created that follows the laws of Sharia, not a Hindu Republic of Bharat that followed Manusmriti.

I do not think that Gandhi or Nehru were saints. Nor do I think that Jinnah was a demon. Nevertheless, I believe that all three of them, besides all the leaders then, should be held responsible for the partition. They were not saints, and I do not find any point in portraying them as such. They were human beings, like you and me. They thought their decision to be the right one - as we think ours are. They could not foresee the future. Nor can we be sure of what would have happened if there had been no partition. So it is pretty pointless to discuss the past when we have a bright future in front of us. Which brings me to the question:

Why on earth am I writing this?

2 comments:

dj said...

good one

asp said...

I second dj.

Search This Blog