Saturday 11 August 2007

Roaming around

I am not much of a traveller. I mean, I belong to those species the members of which hate to stir out of the doors of their homes. I admit that I make all sorts of excuses for not going to the dentist or for shopping or for any other errand which would make ordinary mortals get out of their beds and dress. However, I feel that I am changing. Sometimes, I feel like I urgently need to go out and paint the town red.

Today I was in one of those moods which forbade me from sitting at home. So I got out at the earliest hour possible. So I was out by 10 o'clock only an hour after I woke up at 9. Which is quite remarkable because I hate to get out of my cosy and dirty room. The aim was to pay my fees at a coaching institute I had joined for CAT '08. Sis asked me to get a social science QB for her.

I was supposed to reach Vazhuthacadu around 10. But I didn't know how to get there. In fact, after 4 years of living at this city they call Thiruvananthapuram (why don't they cut the name short, for God's sake?) I knew only four or five places fairly well. So, following dad's instructions(very dangerous, because when asked for direction, my father says 'north' while he means 'south' and it should have actually been 'east'.), I got down at PMG. From there another one to Vellayambalam and finally an auto to Vazhuthacadu. Only then did I remember that..... I had forgotten to take enough money to pay my fees. After ten minutes, a girl was seen at the Service Branch of SBIasking whether they had an ATM nearby. 'No', they said but told me about the SBT ATM nearby. So took the money and went to pay my fee.

After waiting for about ten minutes, a fellow finally appeared. Classes were going on nearby. He asked me what I had come for. On hearing my story, another gentleman walked in who told me that I might better go home than waste my time there as he couldn't issue a receipt for the money if I paid. I was directed to go to Kannammoola. So I caught a bus to Statue and from there to Kesavadasapuram.

Back home, I had a fine lunch. Read Wodehouse for an hour. The effect was almost immediate. I wanted to go out again. Wodehouse always makes me restless, I have found. So I caught an auto to go to Kannammoola and pay my fees. From there, reached MC by bus and KDPM on foot. Actually, I was thinking of taking long walks again. Having put on a lot of weight these months, I intend to get rid of it as soon as possible. Only when I reached the bus-stop did I remember that I had not bought her nibs' book. So I had to rush to Statue and buy the book. Reaching home back by around 4, I immersed myself in Wodehouse again.

I believe I will get out next Saturday too.

No comments:

Search This Blog