Tuesday 7 May 2013

Water, water, everywhere

I have always attached the memories of my homestate with rain. And rivulets. And backwaters. It is a beautiful place full of water bodies. So I was shocked when I heard of the water shortage people back home were facing.

When I came here, I found it to be true. The water level in the well had gone abysmally low. It had not rained much last year and almost every place I visited had its own story of buying water in tankers. It sounded terrible. This is not a place well known for water scarcity. But here too, access to clean water is becoming an issue.

I had a discussion with a Planning Board Division Chief on this matter. He told me that while government was trying to find solutions, people themselves were responsible for the problem. 'We cover our land with interlocking tiles letting the water drain off into the sea. We do not allow even a drop of water to percolate down, even by mistake.'

It is true. We ourselves are to blame.

Soon, there will be 'not a drop to drink.'

No comments:

Search This Blog