Wednesday 24 April 2013

And the travel bug bit me...

Have been travelling around these days. I guess being in this service makes you a diehard travel freak one day or the other.

I am at Thrissur right now. This week I managed to see a part of Thrissur Pooram and I feel really privileged.

Roaming around the city is great - there is a greater respect for pedestrians when compared to rest of the state. (Or I'm roaming around in those parts of the city where it is so.) The buildings look magnificent - was impressed by the Public Library building. Autorickshaw drivers are among the most honest ones you can find in the state. And this is a town of temples.

A curious thing happened to me this Sunday. I go to Church regularly on Sundays. This is my first time in Thrissur and I was lost. But true to my internet junkie image, I googled up the nearest church 'Our Lady of Dolores Church' which happens to be the tallest or one of the taller churches in India. So, on Sunday, I go out, hail an auto and ask him to take me to the Dolores Church. He gave me an absolutely confused look. Evidently he didn't know about it. Two autos and a great dealnof explanation later, I gave up and asked the driver to take me to the nearest church. And lo and behold! I was at Our Lady of Dolores Church which is known as 'Puthan Palli' or the new church here. Another church, Lourdes church is called 'Adi Palli' as it has a porton under the ground. Lourdes is older than Dolores Church.

There are two things I need to do here before I leave - visit the Museum and go for shopping.My tour has unexpectedly stretched itself by an extra month and I'm severely underpacked. Thrissur is also known to be a shopping centre for clothing and jewellery. Lets see what lies in store for me.

No comments:

Search This Blog