Wednesday 16 November 2011

A Few Regrets

Sitting at home with nothing to do is one of my worst nightmares. And I'm going through one of them. I tried everything from reading books to listening to songs but none of them seems to work this time. Newspapers are still full of pathetic news after the great Indian 2G scam. There is no really good news anywhere. All is gloom and doom.

The TV channels seem to be repeating the movies and serials again and again and again. Anyway, I could never stand the latter. And I'm currently a law abidiing citizen who doesn't download movies and now even songs from the internet.

The Project Gutenberg sometimes acts as a relief. I have completed the Sherlock Holmes collection for the fiftieth time. Read Wodehouse's Jeeves stories at least ten times. Unfortunately I do not seem to be fascinated by any other book.

Bram Stoker's Dracula usually cheers me up. But after reading about The Twilight, I have lost all interest in vampires and werewolves. I used to love Pride and Prejudice but now it no longer excites me. Asimov's sci-fi is what I want but I cannot get. It may be available in the Public Liibrary but I feel too lazy to go there and actually get a membership. I need a Gazetted Officer's signature to get a membership. Now, how pathetic is that?

So I try to make do with the liitle collection I have of Pottekkad's travelogues (now branded as racist for his portrayal of the Africans), a book full of superstitious stories called 'Aitihyamala', Thakazhi's 'Enippadikal' and O.Henry's short story collection.

But more often than not, I'm surfing the internet, hoping to find something that would make my day - a good story, a really funny joke or a friend who has enough time to chat with me. I'm feeling incredibly lonely.

But then, it's just for a month. Then, again I will have lots to study, friends to talk to, passages to curse and exams to take.

Waiting for those days.

No comments:

Search This Blog