Tuesday 3 November 2009

Peace and death

No one seems to agree that death is peace. Death, in my opinion, is the ultimate peace. You have no worries anymore, no bad feelings to hide, no more false pretensions - you cease to exist. Though that sounds like bliss, we are afraid of death (that includes me too). The only person genuinely unafraid of death I have ever seen is my mom. I still remember the scene when she was taken to the operation theater after having a brain haemorrhage. She was damn cool, smiling at me while I could hear my heart pounding against my chest and tears rolling down my cheeks. The surgeon had told her that she stood a good chance of not coming out of that room alive - yet she was unafraid. That is true bravery - you are unafraid to meet your Maker. That takes real guts.

Thanks to the surgeons and the hospital staff, I got my mom back. My only regret about the whole thing is that I couldn't meet the surgeons who carried out the operation. I'd love to tell them how grateful I am to them - for giving me back the most wonderful, the bravest person I have met on this earth.

And of course, to God for the great favours He keeps on giving me in spite of my inherent wickedness! ;-)

Dead people are generally considered lucky as they have escaped most of the responsibilities waiting for them. This is especially true for young men and women who die. I don't know how true that is, however. This world, though not exactly heaven, is a great place to live in. It is like a blank book God has given us to write our story in. In most cases, you get to write whatever you want to. It is a great game. In fact, it is the Game.

Suicides are altogether another matter. I have still not understood why people commit suicide. There still remains life no matter how deep you have let yourself sink. You can always redeem yourself. All that it takes is courage - moral courage and not the physical courage. In fact that kind of courage is the difference between the truly great and the rest.

P.S: There is a great discussion on whether suicides are to be decriminalised. In my opinion, a person who is driven to commit suicide will already be in the depths of desperation. What such a person needs is someone to tell him that life is not about running away but fighting till the last breath. Putting such a person in the prison is actually a crime against humanity. Such persons should undergo counselling. All help must be provided to bring such persons back to life. For, we do not know, what he/she may actually turn out to be if reformed.

Death is peace alright, but a rather eerie one. I prefer a war to it - and a grand one at that.

No comments:

Search This Blog