Friday 2 October 2009

Smoking life away

I have finally decided to get fit for the umpteenth time. However, unlike previous times, this was MY decision, which probably means that I am going to lose weight. I walk five kilometers everyday now and it feels really good. I really feel free - some kind of happiness I have never felt over the years and there is a huge bonus too - most of my old favourites are getting back into the wardrobe from the almirah I used to dump them in when they grew too small for me. In fact it feels like heaven.

The only problem I face is this - every day I walk, I find more people smoking in public places. And I'll bet that the number is increasing, and increasing rapidly. Thankfully, smoking in public is not back to the level of the pre-ban days. Still it can be easily verified that people have started ignoring the law, even if it is only a small minority of them.

Educating the masses is not really a great way to stop the people from smoking. It is addictive. Once you get the habit, it is difficult to kick the habit. You cannot ask the addicts to quit smoking simply because it 'kills' them. The people have tougher hides now and it would require a diamond blade to make a scratch on those! If all people behaved perfectly rationally, this planet would be having a different name. A lot of my classmates smoked, knowing well the ill-effects of smoking. It is the danger that accompanies the cigarette and the tobacco that makes it more alluring to people. And ours is the most insane species nature ever produced. Our name should've been Homo Eccentrica or something like that.

So smokers will not easily quit. The best thing we can now do is to politely tell the people who smoke in public places: "My dear sir, I appreciate that you have chosen to commit suicide and I, as a fellow being, fully agree that a person such as you who chose bravely not to understand commonsense, deserves an early death, as you will soon know; but I request you not to harm other fellow beings who are doing no harm to you (and that includes me.)"


How will that be?

No comments:

Search This Blog