Saturday 25 July 2009

Attendance!!!

I can't wash this stupid smirk off my face. I started smiling the moment the guy in the office threatened that my attendance report would be sent home at the end of the month. I was just thinking of all those letters from the PTA addressed to my parents begging them to turn up for the parent-teacher interaction. My parents are usually never at home when the postman comes. So naturally, either my sister or I collect it. Initially, I'd conscientiously tell my parents, "There's a letter from the PTA" "Did you get yourself into any trouble?" "No, it's the annual PTA meeting." "Ah! Leave it then!" In the succeeding years, it turned to "Dad, there's a letter from PTA. I guess you're not going, are you?" He wouldn't reply but stay immersed in the newspaper. Towards the end, I didn't even bother to tell him.

So now out of college and in a coaching class, I'm being threatened with such a threat! What an irony! I thought I'd burst out laughing but luckily controlled it. I told my parents when they came home and they are smiling too. Non-stop.

Four probationary IAS officers came to talk to us the other day. Very sensible people they were, and they've almost succeeded in changing my view about the civil services - a rather prejudiced view. They busted some myths:
1. You need to study for 12-14 hours daily to get into civil service. "That's plain insanity."
2. You shall study at least 4-5 books for each subject. "1-2 books are more than enough. You just need to complete the syllabus"
and my favourite one:
3. You need to answer the questions reaaally confidently in the interview. "I am yet to meet a person who was not nervous during the interview."

Kudos to all the four. Never met such down-to-earth, simple, intelligent persons. Our country will survive and flourish.

No comments:

Search This Blog