Tuesday 23 December 2008

NEWS: Never Ending Worthless Stuff

When I was in kindergarten, my ambition was to become television newsreader. To be more specific, an English newsreader. So I fought for days with my mom and she changed my school. (This is what I say, though she says she was going to change my school anyway.) As I grew up, my ambitions changed, but I had always been fascinated by news and newsreaders. Not any more. I can't bear watching news now- after the advent of those 24-hour news channels. Anything and everything becomes news-even the twists and turns in the stories of some obscure serials in some channels no one watches. I feel terribly sorry for the yesteryear newsreaders - what will their grandchildren think of them when they tell those little kids that they were newsreaders?

I watch the idiot box now only for watching trailers and film songs. I would rather go and suicide than watch one of those dumb parades of designer sari wearing women talking like high priestesses of Indian culture. Those should be banned. It is really degrading. Malayalam serials are no better. I stopped watching even comedies when I was in sixth standard.

Gone are the good old days of Surabhi, Turning Point, Tehtikaat, Byomkesh Bakshi, Anjuman, Farmaan, Aashiyaana, Alif Laila, Lekin Woh Sach Tha, Tarang, Chandrakaantha, Pambaram, Pakida Pakida Pambaram, O. Henry Kathakal, the cartoons in the evenings and Sunday mornings....

Those were the best days of my life...........................................................................

No comments:

Search This Blog