Tuesday 23 December 2008

A dog's world is this!

The controversy that the Kerala Chief Minister created after that tasteless statement involving dogs has finally died down, but people haven't lost their fascination with dogs in this state. Now there is a real issue - whether street dogs should be euthanized or not.

Just like any other issue, this one too has resulted in polarisation of Malayalis into two camps opposed to each other - one for it and one against it. The issue is no laughing matter, however. Street dogs are causing about a dozen accidents every week by jumping in front of running vehicles. A young lady and her child lost their lives due to one such accident last week and this has resulted in stronger calls to the City Corporations to do something about the dogs.

I am no great dog-lover. Those who are used to getting into cars as soon as they get out of their homes may not understand this, but I have to walk a good deal to the nearest bus stop to get a bus. And the path I walk is infested with dogs. These dogs do follow people sometimes. I usually carry a stone in my hand - for my safety. It is as if we were at war. I don't want to die of rabies. 'Rabies infected dog bites another person in the city' is another typical item in newspapers now.
I wouldn't like my photo to come under that particular headline.

I know that the Corporation is helpless - once it starts euthanizing the animals, animal-rights activists come to the fore, get court orders to stop them from doing their work.

What we need is a solution that is acceptable to both parties - something like animal shelters where stray animals are kept. They can be even given for adoption from such shelters to interested persons.

p.s. My college, once upon a time had more dogs than students. When I was studying in third semester, the Corporation vehicles came and started carrying off dogs somewhere. But even they couldn't catch them all. These dogs and we, the students share the same campus. These dogs are absolutely harmless; they don't bother us. My friends sometimes feed the little puppies.

When any student complains that he is living a dog's life, I remark, silently in my mind, "No buddy, they are definitely better off".

No comments:

Search This Blog